Wednesday, January 16, 2013

guitar pinata.

My kid's birthday is coming up so I decided to do a fresh beat band theme party, I saw a guitar pinata online that I wanted to buy but it was over $50.00 I was not gonna pay that much so I decided to do it myself and I think that it turned out better than the one I wanted to buy online.
I had a flat screen t.v box in my garage so I used that, I'm into arts and crafts so I already had glue, ribbon, tissue paper and other things.

First I hand drew the shape of the guitar on the cardboard box, then I cut it using a box blade, I then traced it to the other side of the box so that I could have 2 identical pieces.

Then, I cut out strips from what was left of the box and I used them for the sides. I taped it all with duck tape( I used alot of it to make sure it didn't come apart)
   I used more duck tape than the picture shows.(way more)

 I decided to also do paper mache on top of it just to make it extra strong ( the paper mache didn't stick much to the duck take so next time I'll make sure to use longer pieces of paper for the paper mache to make sure there is no lifting on the tape parts)

After letting it dry for a day, I started to decorate it and I am very happy with the final product, I guess the real test will be once the kids start going at it ( but that's not for another 2 weeks)

I made sure to reinforce the strap because I will be hanging it from it for the party, I also made sure to leave an opening on top so that I can put the candy in. I made the opening on the same side as the strap so that the candy doesn't fall out once we hang it.
I learned a few things from making this, next time I will make the strings longer so that they don't end right where the black circle is (cause that's not how they really are), I will also make sure that the strap is on the right place so that it doesn't hang funny, you will see once I post pictures of the birthday in 2 weeks :)

UPDATE: They held up great, they were sturdy and everyone loved them.

No comments:

Post a Comment